By Vita Forest
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! This is how I spent the day…
- Woke to a chorus of brightly coloured lorrikeets outside my window.
- Polished and tinkered and tested new synonyms for my novel’s logline and synopsis (the hardest 300 words I have written).
- Swam my first kilometre of the summer at Balmoral Beach.
- Enjoyed the coolness of the water as the weather heated up.
- Watched children testing out their new Christmas presents – surfboards, balls, blow-up rings under a clear blue summer sky.
- Cut up fragrant mint and parsley leaves for a salad.
- Spoke to my children, off in Tasmania with their father.
- Drove my parents to my sister Molly’s house for a family Christmas where I was
- Greeted by a young Jedi brandishing his new light sabre.
- Drank champagne and lashings of cold water to stay cool.
- Sat under a ceiling fan and ate cold meats, cheese, dips, bruschetta, crackers, crusty bread, olives and lots of different salads (a fab cold Christmas lunch on such a hot day).
- Wore silly hats after pulling Christmas crackers.
- Watched my niece and nephew squealing and hurling themselves down their new blow-up waterslide and paddling pool that just fits into their little inner-city backyard.
- Read books about dinosaurs with the young Jedi.
- Promised my niece some holiday sketching outings.
- Discussed possible names for the new bubbas about to arrive in the family.
- Chatted to my sister as we cleaned up the kitchen.
- Opened presents brought to us by the Christmas elves (my niece and nephew).
- Arrived home feeling pooped.
- Lay on the couch and binged on Das Boot on SBS On Demand (recommended).