By Vita Forest
On Saturday I took part in two events – Yoga at Barangaroo and the Worldwide WordPress 5K. The second is a worldwide event where WordPress users and lovers do 5 kilometres of some kind of exercise. I chose to do a 5km walk around Sydney, stopping off for a spot of yoga in the middle.
I caught a train to Wynyard and walked down to Barangaroo Reserve. After doing yoga, my friend Saskia and I (accompanied by her dog Rowdy) explored Barangaroo, walking around the undulating shoreline and into the Cutaway. We also walked along the boardwalk towards Darling Harbour before circling back to Barangaroo.
After saying goodbye to my company, I walked through Millers Point, past the Sydney Theatre, before climbing up to Observatory Hill and cutting under the tunnel to the start of the walk over the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge. I walked over the bridge to Milson’s Point station where I finished.
- Views over the harbour and city – sailboats, ferries, Sydney Opera House.
- Barefoot rock hopping over huge sandstone slabs at Barangaroo Reserve, with even a bit of paddling in the puddles left by the receding tide.
- Spotting jacarandas in bloom on distant hills.
- Walking under the huge metal arc of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (you can pay big bucks to climb over it or walk across the bottom for free. I took the second option).
- Although it’s not a huge walk, there are some very steep sections where you climb some long staircases (about 6 sets, mainly going up).
- You can start and finish at train stations, so easy to access by public transport.
I had a beautiful walk right in the middle of Sydney, where did you do your 5K?